Monday, September 29, 2014

Productivity !!!

     I always wonder what is the relationship between number of working days and Productivity. Is number of working days directly proportional to productivity or indirectly proportional? What should be the optimum level in which one’s mind can do productive work? Several countries follow different work standards and even within countries there are several regions and several groups who follow different standards according to their needs.

     Back home we have six working days and my dad always double checks with me even after so many years that do we work only for five days in a week. But the number of working days also depends on the nature of the business – some business may not add more value by opening during weekends whereas some business thrive during weekends and holidays. But when we say working hours are 8 – 5 pm how does our brain recognize the time period and how do we prepare our mind to focus on something very intense? Sometimes during the workshop sessions my brain is completely drained where I got to watch out for every single question thrown at me and at times my mind tend to relax a bit if my role is just to be as a listener in a conference call. The way we control our mind and concentrate on stuff on our plate is definitely an art. I could control my mind for some time but for prolonged concentration I definitely need to get into something which would help me sustain my mood for an elongated period of time. Maybe I should try Yoga or some meditation.


     Sometimes work becomes pleasure where we don’t end up calculating the amount of hours we spend on our work; Sometimes we tend to work long hours simply due to obligation or even at times due to peer pressure from our counterparts. But the question is it is not the amount of hours we work but the amount of value we add to our work in a given period of time. I heard a power nap in the afternoon helps to be more productive, I saw one of the fortune 500 companies in Bay area having all sorts of activity to avoid boredom to its employees. The more productive the mind is the more relaxing it can be for yourself and more value you add for your employer. 

No comments: