Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Why I like Star Vijay

Why I like Star Vijay ?

I love this channel for many reasons so want to pen my thoughts. If we are looking for words like cutting edge, fantasy, solicitous, creative, passionate, funny, dramatic, are some of the adjectives we are looking for in a group, then look no further. Star Vijay is the answer to our Google search. I recently had Star Vijay connection at my house temporarily for two months as my parents have come to visit me. The channel here works bit differently as they telecast the programmes after one full week which is pretty late. But still I was adamant going for this channel as this was my personal favourite. Well to be frank back in India I never used to sit and watch any programmes other than SCV channel which plays video songs. This channel I feel in this visually stimulated society, is the perfect form of communication to speak Biblical truths to a media-driven culture which provides both entertainment and enlightment at the same place.

One summer afternoon back in Boston when I was feeling bit bored I saw a clipping for Jodi No.1 (Its one of my favorite TV pgms) season onewhich I have heard was a huge success. Somehow got hooked and started to see all the episodes. I somehow thought this programme is bit different from others even thought many would not agree. It’s the same song, same stage, same comments from judges but still the way Divya dharshini carries the show, the reality show tidbits, the way the channel packages make this somewhat different. One of my other favourite pgms is “Coffee with anu” which I am sure nobody except Anu can create the magic. Anu’s attitude is one of its kind and to conduct a show like this one has to have good presence of mind and astute thinking. Initially I thought Airtel super singer to be as “Iyer Super singer” but slowly started to love this one too as I feel the participants are being molded.

Ok what makes Vijay TV better compared to others? I heard that they pay less and also one of their offices in Nugambakkam is pretty small one (I wrote my GRE on the same venue and did not realize its Vijay TV’s office). I would say their Vision is their biggest strength. I believe their only goal is to promote and elevate everybody to the next level and eventually realize their dreams. They create a platform and push people. This noble thought is indeed a welcome change rather than usual run of the mill kind. They engage fresh blood and drive everything in a very innovative way. They are funded by STAR network so they are not short of money. I even like the idea of having their own ads between the programmes which keeps the audience glued to the network rather than switching to another channel. We all know how Google makes money through ads displayed on right hand side of the search but they hardly spend money on advertising – it’s the way Larry and sergey wanted to be and did not disturb their strategy amidst heavy criticism from investors and shareholders. Also they do not rely fully on Cinema content – they try different programmes which has an impact with audience. To name one such programme is Gopinath’s “Neeya naana” which is a very thought provoking show but I feel sometimes this one is bit boring as they get too much into the subject. The word “Different” is used everywhere and audience are sick hearing that word instead they want to feel its different. I think Vijay awards every year is a very good step taken by the channel which will create that buzz and excitement in the air. Having Kamal and Mani ratnam receive the awards for the first two years for “Sivaji award” they are well on road to make it a grand event in the coming years.

I would like to see the channel reach further heights by its bold experimentation and noble thoughts. Now that everyone started to mimic them they should move on to the next stage instead of keep on saying that they are the ones first to do this kinda show. Well I am not sure whether the channel offer stocks for its investors , if so I would definitely go for it as my gut felling says it has a great potential to rule the Tamil nadu television industry.

1 comment:

admin said...

you are right.. the channel is going very high and it will reach to new level of programs always..