Friday, September 7, 2012

More Automation ….less Human intervention ….


      Recently I was inside my car on a traffic light gazing at the construction work going on outside…I don’t think I can precisely put it in words of what I witnessed but all I can say is a heavy construction piece worth few thousand pounds was lifted just like that my a machine …worker was inculcating on the exact location the piece has to be moved so the guy who controls the machine just got to adjusts the controls as per the instructions. I am sure abundance of time will be saved and more importantly safety of the workers is the primary motive in employing machines.

      Look at software Industry ….one of the key metrics in most of the software projects is to automate the process by that way there is less human intervention. The sponsor of the IT projects will definitely underscore reduction in time by so much percentage in the power point slides.

    Look at the postal services …machine scans the address and if the label is not properly aligned (From and To addresses) there is a good chance the parcel may return back to the sender since the system thought that is where the parcel is supposed to go. GPS example can be funny …the final destination might be just on your left hand side but since ‘U-turn’ is not allowed at that Traffic light GPS may direct you to take ‘n’ number of steps before arriving at the same place you came a while back.

   I always marvel how does the software work during competitive exams? They have several algorithms in which the system picks up a question based on how the previous question was answered. I am very curious to know the logic behind how system picks the next question and how the system evaluates the score.

    One thing for sure …as we march into the coming years we are going to see more and more automation in our day to day life. Automation is good but one should not forget whether it’s a machine or a system or anything for that matter which automates is invented by Human beings. Human brain is much more powerful and capable and should be given due respect.

1 comment:

taxwelluk said...

Thanks for writing such a good article, I stumbled onto your blog and read a few post. I like your style of writing..
Construction accounting services in London